Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Does you passport number change when you change names?

Question: I am getting married on July 31 and am traveling to Europe on September 3rd and again on November 20th. I would like to change my name after I am married but I need to buy airline tickets before I am married. Often you have to enter your passport number when booking international tickets. Does the number stay the same and does your name just change? In that case could I book the tickets in my married name and keep the same passport number and then expedite my name change?

I have two trips to Europe planned to see family and I don't know whether to change names before both trips or in between the trips. I need to book both tickets before I get my name officially changed. Thank you.

Answer: Since U.S. passports are no longer amended, you will be issued a new passport with a new number when you apply for the name change.

You can apply for the name change after you return from the first trip to Europe. Just remember to book your airline ticket in your maiden name.

Note, you will need your original marriage certificate in order to apply for the name change. Since some states takes as much as 8 weeks to process these documents, you should request express service if it is available.

For more information about the process, click the link below.

How to Change Name in Passport

Comments for Does you passport number change when you change names?

Click here to add your own comments

Maiden name on passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I was married in Nov 2018 and changed my name on all documents except my passport in Jan 2019. I have not yet changed my passport. I’m planning to travel internationally in May 2020 and was going to get my passport changed before then. But I just found a good deal on tickets. Can I buy the tickets and travel using my maiden name and passport, or should I wait to buy tickets until I’ve changed the passport? I have traveled domestically under my married name since the name change.

Answer: You may book your tickets trave in your maiden name as long as your passport still meets the validity requirement of your destination country.

Name Change
by: Newly Married

Question: I was married in June 2018. All of my identification except my US Passport has been changed to my new name.

I have an international trip scheduled for Dec 2018 and Jan 2019. Is it mandatory that I change my name on my passport or can I travel with the current passport (with old name) and present my marriage license to customs along with the current passport.

Answer: You may travel with your current passport in your maiden name if your tickets are also booked in the same name. However, if your tickets are in your married name, you need to apply for a renewal with name change to avoid issues with TSA.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility.

Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC.

A registered expedited passport courier can often assist in obtaining a passport as quickly as the same day. You can learn more about this service here.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!