Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I get a passport if I am no longer in arrears of child support?

by Gerard
(Summerfield, Florida)

Question: I applied and paid for a passport a few years back and was denied because i owed over $2500 in arrears. I no longer am in arrears. How can i receive my passport now.

Answer: Yes, you can obtain a passport if you are no longer in arrears of child support. Before you apply, you may want to contact the State child support enforcement agency in the state where you were in arrears to make sure they have contacted the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to have your name removed from the list.

Once that has been confirmed, you need to appear at an application acceptance facility and submit form DS-11 and all supporting documents. You must also pay the appropriate fees. Fees for applications that are denied are non-refundable. Click the link to find a location where you can apply.

Florida Passport Offices

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports and Child Support Issues.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!