Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can a 17 year old submit passport as proof of citizenship?

by David
(Omaha, NE, USA)

Question: Government website and local passport office do not seem to agree on what is needed. As I understand the website information.

- as a "Minor Ages 16 & 17" she must appear in person and have a parent present photo ID if minor does not have identification (She has a Driver's License and a passport)
- Have a photocopy of same ID used above
- establish parental consent
Follow direction of "First time apply in person" which includes:

Step 1 Complete and submit Form DS-11 - I understand this
Step 2 Submit Evidence of US citizenship - one of the following
-previously issued undamaged passport - she has this but was told it will not suffice
-certified birth certificate -
- etc etc
Step 3 Present ID
Step 4 photo copy of ID used in step 3

If she has already received a passport why does it not suffice as evidence of citizenship in step 2 local office will not accept.


Due to new regulations and security features that went into affect in 2007, passports issued to minors (age 15 or younger) before that time are not acceptable as evidence of U.S. citizenship when applying for a 10-year passport (age 16 and older). Unfortunately, this detail is not state on the Department of State website.

Therefore, any applicant age 16 or older whose previous passport was issued before 2007 cannot submit that passport as evidence of U.S. citizenship. He or she must submit either a birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship.

Comments for Can a 17 year old submit passport as proof of citizenship?

Click here to add your own comments

Passport renewal
by: Roneesha chessler

Question: I have my birth paper, social security card and an expired passport, do I still need one parent with me?

Answer: It depends. If you are 16 or 17 and have a valid government-issued ID, you only need a signed statement from one parent. If you are 18 or older, no parent presence or consent is required.

Had similar scenario
by: Anonymous

Question: I think it's not very clear in the instructions for the 16-17 year olds who have a minor passport already that they still need the birth certificate. Most of us are thinking "they had to show that already to get the minor passport." We are in the situation where if our son waits 3 weeks, he doesn't need his birth certificate (because he will be 18 and his minor passport will suffice), but if he applies now, he needs birth certificate listing parent's names and the approval of one parent (because he's technically still a minor). It's so frustrating to be "almost 18!"

Answer: Your son's age will not affect whether or not his previous passport is accepted as evidence of U.S. citizenship. If his passport was issued before 2007, he will have to submit his birth certificate, even if he is age 18.

Children ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves. It is recommended, but not required, that a parent appear with the minor to show parental approval.

Parental proof
by: Anonymous

I see the logic in having a minor submit a certified birth certificate as well as an expired passport because the passport does not mention the parents by name.

June Sloane

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!