This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

renew my passport but not legally divorced yet

Question: I want to renew my passport but I am not legally divorced yet even though I have been living separately from my husband for 4 months now . My concern is what marital status should I choose while filing the application online? Can I select divorcee? I need to renew my passport and can't wait until the divorce process is over. Please guide.

Answer: No, you cannot select divorcee on the passport application. You are not officially divorced. Until you file for divorce and the process is finalized, you are still legally married. Therefore, you must check that you are married on the application and cannot check the "divorced" box.

If you do file for divorce and change your name, you can apply for a passport name change. If you make the request within one year from the issuance of the passport, there is no fee.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.