This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Problem with Signature in Passport

Question: When I was signing my passport my pen ran out of ink and also I did not write my middle name. I wrote over the original signature with a different pen and filled in my middle name.

I called and was told I could just draw a single line through the original signature and rewrite my signature above. Will this be a problem when I travel if I do it this way or would it be wise to request another passport to avoid a problem on an upcoming trip? Thank you for your help in this matter.

Awaiting your reply.

Answer: Striking a line through the incorrect signature in your passport and signing above is the correct procedure in this case. There should be no problem when you travel.

You can apply to replace your passport if you desire but you will have to pay the appropriate fees.

Comments for Problem with Signature in Passport

Click here to add your own comments

Mistakenly signed passport
by: Anonymous

Question: I was supposed to sign my first middle and married name. I mistakenly signed my entire name with my married name.

Answer: It's not a problem. But if you want to change the signature on your passport, you may simply write a straight line across the first signature then affix the right signature on top of it.

by: Anonymous

Question: Signature isn't on the line it's slightly above it and worried in case it's not acceptable.

Answer: It should not be a problem.

by: Anonymous

Question: I put my signature on my passport twice and then crossed them out and wrote my name again above it. Should I get a new one?

Answer: There's no need to get a new passport.

I accidentally signed below the line
by: Anonymous

Question: Hello,

I accidentally signed below the line on my passport. Is this still valid?

Please reply as soon as possible- I'm really worried because I have to travel soon.

Thank you.

Answer: It should not be a problem.

Incorrect signature
by: Dan

Question: My wife and I just realized we signed each other's passports and we are leaving in 4 days. We just noticed when we were getting things together. Thanks.

Answer: You may simply cancel out the incorrect signature with a single line across and affix the correct signature right above it.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.