Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

What do I do if I accidentally signed my husband's passport?

Question: Recently, we were on a cruise in the Caribbean and when we were exiting the ship in Miami the agent told me that I needed to sign my passport which I did.

After going through customs, I discovered, to my dismay, that I had signed my husband's passport! He had mine and I had his. At some point earlier I had signed mine and he had not. What do we do now? The passport is valid until 2020 as we had just had our passports renewed last spring. Thank you for your help.

Answer: All you need to do is draw a straight line through your signature and your husband can sign his name above it.

Comments for What do I do if I accidentally signed my husband's passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Signed Passport with middle and last name only
by: Anonymous

Question: I always use my middle name as my first name even though it isn't. My passport, however, has my full name on the ID page. But without thinking, I only signed it with my middle and last name. I heard that you can strike one line through it and re-write the correct signature above it, so that's what I did. I leave to go to Europe in 2 days, so I really need to know if this will cause me any issues.

Answer: It will not be an issue.

by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I signed my passport with my first and last name, not realizing I had to use my signature which is only my initials. What can I do? Will that be okay?

Answer: It should be okay. But if you want to affix your signature, you can just draw a straight line across your name then sign right above or below it.

Wrong signature
by: Anonymous

Question: I had a Freudian/senior moment and signed my maiden name instead of my married name to my renewed passport. How do I remedy?

Answer: You may leave it as is if you want. Or you can simply strike a single line through the mistake and sign the correct signature.

by: Anonymous

Question: I accidentally signed my husband's passport and customs at the airport entering Honduras told us to leave it alone and not cross out the signature. If he does sign his name, are we going to have problems leaving and entering the US if customs does happen to notice?

Question: The correct procedure according to the Department of State is to strike one line through the incorrect signature and sign correctly either above or below. If you are concerned about traveling with the passport either way, we recommend your husband apply for a renewal. He will have to pay the application fee in order to get a new passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

COVID-19 UPDATE: Mailing delays are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 8 and 11 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 5 to 7 weeks exluding mailing times on the front and back end. Mailing delays may be significant so requesting 1-2-day mailing may greatly help.

Regional passport agencies are offering extremely limited in-person services if you need to travel internationally in the next 72 hours. Those with qualified life-or-death emergencies are prioritized.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 business days).

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 AM to 5PM, call ET 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, 202-647-4000

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!