Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

My son lost his passport card. What do we need to do?

by Kay
(Thatcher, AZ USA)

Question: My 12-year-old son lost his wallet and it contained his small passport card, with the passport number on it. He DID NOT loose his passport. Please let us know if we should be concerned or what we need to do. Thanks.

Answer: A passport card is, in all senses, just as much a passport as the passport book. Therefore, it is important to report the loss to the State Department. You can do this by calling 1-877-487-2778 or submitting Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport.

Then, you need to apply for a new passport for your son. Your son must appear in person with both parents at an application acceptance office in order to get the new passport. For complete instructions, click the link below.

Apply for a Child's Passport

Return to Passport Card FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Expedite Your Passport Now!