Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Do I need my ex-husband's place of birth for the passport application?

by Cherry

Question: I do not know how to contact my ex-husband and we have not been in contact since the divorce. It wasn't a good marriage nor a good divorce and I do not want to have to track him down to find this information out. That and I do not want him to know where I currently live. I do have my marriage and divorce dates and his full name.

Answer: The passport application form states that failure to provide information requested on the form may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application. While this is only a possibility, you can avoid this risk by including the birthplace.

If you wish not to have contact with your ex-husband, you may consider contacting a family member, mutual friend or one of his past co-workers who could provide the information you need.

Another method would be to search for the answer online. Begin by searching his complete name in quotation marks on Google. You can also try Facebook, Twitter and other social media websites. Members often include date and place of birth in their profiles.

If those methods do not provide you with the answer, you can turn to a vital records service such as Click here to find Birth Records

Return to Passport Application Form Questions.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!