Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Do I need a passport if I have a resident alien card?

Question: I am a US resident. I would like to travel to Mexico, the place of my birth. Do I need a passport or could I use my resident alien card? Please respond ASAP. Thank you.

Answer: A permanent resident (green card holder) can travel freely outside of the United States. A passport from your country of citizenship is often necessary to travel to another country and to re-enter the United States.

To re-enter the United States, a permanent resident normally needs to present their green card for readmission. A re-entry permit is needed for trips that last longer than 1 year but less than 2 years.

Comments for Do I need a passport if I have a resident alien card?

Click here to add your own comments

Document needed to travel
by: Anonymous

Question: What do I need to travel to Italy if I am a green card holder?

Answer: Your permanent resident status in the United States does not have any bearing on your international travels. As a general rule, a passport with at least 6 months validity is required. You need to contact the Embassy of Italy for entry requirements specific to citizens of your home country.

by: Anonymous

Question: I have my passport in my maiden name and my green card in my married name. Does that matter? Do I need to request a new passport with my actual name or I can still use the old one until it expires?

Answer: You should be able to use your passport but questions may arise because of the name difference.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport FAQ - Questions and Answers About Passports.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.