Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Do I need a new passport if my new married surname is hyphenated?

by Carol

Question: I am recently married and my new surname is hyphenated. I want to change my driver's license to my new hyphenated surname, do I need to do the same with my passport?

Answer: Yes, you need to change the name in your passport since you have a new legal name. A person may have a hyphenated surname placed in a passport, providing the original marriage certificate, or acceptable identification in the hyphenated name, is produced. The surname joined by the hyphen may be written in the order in which the applicant uses them.

For more information about how to apply for a passport name change, click the link below.

Passport Name Change

Comments for Do I need a new passport if my new married surname is hyphenated?

Click here to add your own comments

Hyphen between two last names
by: NY

Question: I will be naturalized next month and I was advised by the Immigration Officer during interview that they don't accept hyphen in between my two last names. So my certification will be printed without hyphen. All of my IDs and cards have a hyphen (SSN, DL, Credit Cards and even my marriage certificate). Can I still add the hyphen in between my two last names when applying a U.S. passport or should I follow the name on my naturalization certificate (no hyphen)?

Answer: You may use the hyphen. The passport will be issued in the name you enter in the application since it matches your ID (driver's license).

Hyphenated Married name
by: Anonymous

Question: I just got married and hyphenated my name. Do I need to change the name on my passport or can I just use my current passport with just my maiden name on it? My drivers license has my hyphenated married name.

Answer: You may continue to use your current passport. You will not have any issues traveling as long as you book your tickets in your maiden name to match your passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!