Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Can I submit a copy of my marriage license for a passport name change?

by Christina
(Rockville Centre, NY, USA)

Question: I was given a copy of the marriage license by the reverend that married us that is on the official paper, is this considered a certified copy?

I did not photocopy my marriage license, however the reverend gave us two copies on the same paper as the original to use for the purposes of changing my name at the DMV, etc.

Are these considered certified copies of the marriage license or do I still need to apply to have another copy of the license sent to me?

Thank you.

Answer: A marriage license and a marriage certificate are two different documents. A marriage license grants permission for a couple to get married and only has a validity of 60 days in New York. A marriage certificate is the legal document that certifies that the couple did, in fact, get married.

In order to obtain a passport name change, you must submit a certified copy of the marriage certificate and not the license.

For more information about getting a certified copy of your marriage certificate, click the link below.

New York Marriage Certificates

Comments for Can I submit a copy of my marriage license for a passport name change?

Click here to add your own comments

Certified Marriage License
by: Anonymous

Question: I received a certified marriage license from the state after we got married. Is that the same as a marriage certificate?

Answer: A marriage license's sole purpose is to prove that you and your spouse-to-be are legally allowed to wed. If the document you have was issued after you were married, it should be the marriage certificate, not a marriage license. You can verify it with the issuing office.

E-Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate?
by: Anonymous

Question: Is an e-certified copy of my marriage certificate from the clerk's office sufficient for my passport renewal application with a name change?

Answer: The Department of State's website has not published an update regarding e-certification of documents and whether or not these are already acceptable. I suggest you err on the side of caution and submit the original or a certified (not just e-certified) copy of your marriage certificate as proof of your legal name change.

Please contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Name on birth certificate slightly different than other forms of ID
by: Anonymous

Question: My middle and last name changed when I married. My middle name is now my maiden name and my last name is my husband's. Will I need a marriage certificate to show, since my birth certificate shows my old full name?

Answer: Passport services may require you to submit your marriage certificate as proof of legal name change.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.