Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Can I get a passport if I am 16 and only live with my dad?

by Janie
(Memphis TN)

Question: I am trying to travel out of the state and need my passport. The problem is that I need a state ID but cant get it because I only live with my dad and his name is not in my birth certificate. My mom's name is on my certificate but she is in Mexico. They are asking for my dad and I to go to court and have a DNA test issued but that's too expensive and it takes too much time. What can I do? Can I get my passport with a school ID?

Answer: Since your mother is the only one listed on your birth certificate, she has to appear with you at a passport application acceptance facility in order for you to get a passport. Since she is in Mexico and cannot appear, she needs to visit the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to complete Form DS-3053 and have it notarized. The form should state that she grants your father permission to appear with you to get the passport.

She needs to send the notarized consent along with a copy of her photo ID to your father. Then, your father must appear with you and submit the notarized consent form and copy of photo ID. You need to submit the completed passport application form, original or certified copy of birth certificate, recent passport photo, a copy of your photo ID and payment for the fees.

Click the link below for more information.

U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Mexico

New Passport Requirements

Tennessee Passport Offices

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport for 16 or 17 Year Old FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!