Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Adoptive Child's Name Change on Passport

by Celine
(Thousand Oaks, CA)

Question: As a foster parent, we applied for our little girl's passport last year under her legal name at the time and as foster parents.

We just completed adoption and therefore, need to change her name on passport and Social Security card. We do not have the new/revised birth certificate yet, but we do have the court order which shows us as legal parents.

We do not want to send the original paperwork as we only have few copies and need to keep them until we get a birth certificate.

How do we go about this?

Aside from fees and pictures, how can I get the required documents? The State won't issue additional original adoption certificates.

Thank you

Answer: Besides the normal requirements for a child's passport, you must submit the following items in order to obtain a passport for an adopted child.

1. A certified copy of the child’s original birth certificate;
2. A certified copy of the signed Adoption Order/Decree;
3. A copy of the signed Adoption Agreement (California only).

You may file a petition with the court clerk to ask the court for permission to obtain copies from the adoption file. Contact the court where the adoption was granted.

Superior Court of California

You can use a Tyvek envelope to protect the contents and a traceable delivery method to ensure the arrival of your documents such as USPS Priority Mail or USPS Express Mail (for overnight delivery).

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 10 and 13 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 7 to 9 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Expedite Your Passport Now!