How to Renew a Brazilian Passport in the U.S.
A Brazilian passport lasts for ten years (issued in 2015 onwards) and
once it expires, you will be forced to apply for a new Brazilian
passport as a first time applicant. However, having had a Brazilian
passport before, the process should not be far from memory and so you
will certainly feel slightly more comfortable with the procedure. Let
us look at what is involved in applying for a Brazilian passport.
Applying for a Brazilian Passport Online
Applying for a Brazilian passport is
rather convenient because you can fill out a form online and then mail
it to the Brazilian embassy or one of its consulates. The best thing to
do in this case is to visit the consulate website for the Brazilian
consulate nearest you. There are Brazilian consulates in:
- Los Angeles
- New York
- San Francisco
And of course the Brazilian embassy is in Washington DC
. See a list of the consulate and embassy details and addresses here
Completing the Online Application Form
You can complete the Brazilian passport application form online
. which you
completed online, you will notice that there is a field for which you
must paste one passport photograph into. Do not forget to sign in the
other required field too.
You absolutely must paste in a photo that meets strict
requirements. If your photo fails these conditions, your entire
passport application will be rejected. See the below requirements for
your passport photo:
- Photo must be recent to show your likeliness (six months old at most)
- Photo must be 2 inches squared in size
- Photo background must be white without shadows
- Applicant must face forward directly with open eyes and closed mouth. No smiling.
What to Send with Your Application Form
There are a few supporting documents that you will need to
submit along with your Brazilian passport application to your nearest
Brazilian consulate. These include:
- Your current Brazilian passport
- Money order on behalf of the specific consulate in the amount of
$120 (adults)/ $80 (children 4-17 years old)/ $40 (children below 4
- A return express mail envelope for delivery of your new passport
- Notarized copy of Brazilian birth certificate
- Notarized copy of proof of discharge from election obligation
- Notarized copy of Brazilian identity card
- Notarized copy of military document (men aged 18-45)
Brazilian Passports for Foreign Residents
Let us perform a quick re-cap of what is required to successfully apply for a Brazilian passport from the U.S
- Fill out the application form online. Print it, sign it and paste your passport photo onto it
- Make sure that your passport photo meets strict requirements
- Gather all the supporting documents that you need for your application and be sure that your copies are notarized
- Do not forget your money order!
- Remember to include an express mail return envelope
- Look up the address of the consulate that serves your jurisdiction. If none of them do, you will have to appear in person
- Send off your application!
Generally the process is pretty simple. By following the
guidelines provided above, you should not encounter any problems. If
you do, contact a consulate for assistance.
Expedite Your Passport Now!
Click to Call for Expedited Service!