This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Who do I meet with in Vancouver to get passports for my two infants?

by Heather
(Vancouver, B.C)

Question: To whom it may concern:

I am in Vancouver with my husband doing a study abroad. We will be here for four weeks. We bought flights up here however weren't allowed to board those flights because I didn't have passports for my two infants. We flew to Seattle instead and drove across the border showing my boys' birth certificates as identification.

We do not have a car here, and want to fly back home. It was too much work taking shuttles, buses, and taxis everywhere. I'm aware that minors need to apply in person. Where do I go and is it possible to get them passports within a month's time?

Answer: You can apply for the passports at the U.S. Consulate General in Vancouver. The first step is to make an appointment. Click the link below to access the online form.

Make Appointment at U.S. Consulate - Vancouver

Then, you need to complete the online passport application form for each child. The form to be completed is Form DS-11. Note, the application should not be signed until the agent at the consulate requests that it be done.

Along with the application form, you need to present evidence of United States citizenship, evidence of relationship to your infants, photo ID of parents, photocopy of identification documents and one passport photo each.

When applying for passports for minors, both parents are required to appear. If only one parent can appear, then the applying parent must submit notarized consent from the non-applying parent.

There is a passport application fee of $80 and execution fee of $25 for each application.

Processing times at U.S. embassies and consulates vary. The website of the U.S. embassy in Canada states that turn around time is 4 weeks. You can contact the Vancouver Consulate in order to verify current processing time.

If processing time is longer than you have to obtain the passports, they may be able to issue limited-validity emergency passports for your children.

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Getting US Passport Abroad FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.