This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

What proof do I need to change the name on my 15yo son's passport?

by Steve
(New Jersey)

Question: Your Passport name change page says that "If you cannot legally document your name change (through court order or marriage) or you are applying for a name change for a minor" then one of the items required is "At least 3 public records showing your date and place of birth that show exclusive use of your assumed name for at least 5 years" is required.

We are getting our son's birth certificate amended based on school records, since he has never actually used the name on his birth certificate. No court order is required in our state (NJ) to do this. His passport was issued (using the name on the current birth certificate) a few months ago. Will it be sufficient to bring the original and amended birth certificates to document the name change?

Answer: According to the U.S. Department of State Passport Services, you must present 2 or 3 public record documents (school records, tax records, insurance records, baptismal certificate, census record, etc.) that prove exclusive use of the assumed name for at least 5 years.

Also, the applicant must be able to submit "Statement of Witness in Support of Change of Name" executed by two or more persons who have personal knowledge of the applicant's use of both names, and who can attest to the applicant's exclusive use of the assumed name for at least five years. These statements may be executed by relatives or close friends.

If the assumed name has been used for less than five years, it may be included as a "known as" name if documentary evidence is provided.

For more information, contact the National Passport Information Center by calling 1-877-487-2778 or writing to

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.