Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Comments for What documents do I need to take for my baby to get his passport?

Click here to add your own comments

Infant Passport
by: Anonymous

Question: My wife is now admitted to a psychiatric hospital, and we need our infant 8-month-old baby's passport established. Due to her state, she cannot go to the passport office with me right now. What can I do? We need the passport to be established as soon as possible as all three of us plan to travel out of the country once the mother is freed to come back home. What can we do? Can the mother sign the document at the hospital?

Answer: Since the mother is admitted in a psychiatric hospital, she may not be mentally fit to provide consent. What you can do is ask her attending physician to provide a medical certificate in official hospital letterhead explaining her condition.

You can then submit this document with Form DS-5525 and the rest of the requirements for a child's passport.

You may call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

SSN for infant born outside USA
by: Anonymous

Question: I am a mother of a newborn US citizen born outside the US. He is born in Cairo, Egypt. I am completing his passport application (DS-11) but he doesn't have an SSN. Can I proceed with his passport application without an SSN? If yes, how shall I complete box5 of DS-11?

Answer: Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. They may be able to issue the child an SSN.

Click here to add your own comments

Return to What documents do I need to take for my baby to get his passport?.

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.