This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

What documents are required for a minor to debark in Mexico from a cruise ship?

by Allison
(St. Cloud, FL)

Question: I am trying to find information about obtaining a passport for my daughter (aged 14) and about the required documents needed for her to debark a cruise ship in Cozumel, Mexico.

First, she has my last name and her original birth certificate had only my name on it. After a child support order was initiated, her father's name was added to it. I have both the original and certified copy of the amended birth certificate.

She has always lived with me. The first time she ever saw her father was at 10 years old. I do not know if a custody order was issued at the time of the child support enforcement. I intend on filling out the appropriate paperwork to describe the circumstances, but would I be able to use the original birth certificate to illustrate "sole custody" even though it has been amended? I don't want to commit perjury or fraud in doing so. It might be difficult for me to get a notarized statement from her father in a timely manner.

My next question is about the requirements for children visiting Mexico. I don't know if this is something that you can help with or if there is somewhere else I should contact. I have read on the website of the cruise company I plan on using that a notarized letter (granting permission
to travel by the absent parent) was required for all children debarking in Mexico with only one parent. It appears that this is above and beyond a passport. Can you please advise me if this is accurate and if a valid passport will be satisfactory.

Thank you in advance!

Answer: Both a valid passport and a notarized consent form are required for your daughter to embark in Mexico. Since your daughter is a minor and the father's name is now included on the birth certificate, she will need the notarized consent of her father in order to apply for a passport unless you have some document that proves you have been granted sole legal custody.

The consent form can be downloaded online and then sent by express overnight delivery in order to accelerate the process.

For travel by sea, your daughter only needs a passport card which is less expensive than the passport book. Routine service takes 4-6 weeks while expedited service takes 2-3 weeks. To get the passport faster, you must either visit a regional passport agency or go through a professional expediting service in order to obtain the passport as fast as the same day.

Click the links below for more information.

Apply for a Passport for a Minor

Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent for Passport

Minor Travel Consent Form

Miami Passport Agency

Get Minor's Passport Fast

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Cruises.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.