COVID-19 UPDATE: Travel restrictions and other information for U.S. Passport holders.

What do I need for a last name change on my 7-year-old sons passport?

by Kara
(Omaha, NE, USA)

Question: My husband adopted my biological son 3 years ago, so my 7-year-old son's passport still has my maiden last name on it. Will he need to come with me to the post office? How long will it take to get? We need it by end of this month (May).

Answer: If your son's passport was issued more than one year ago, then you are required to apply for a new passport using application Form DS-11. When applying for a child's passport, both parents are required to appear before an authorized passport agent who will take your oath and witness the signing of the application.

Along with the completed application form DS-11, you need to submit evidence of citizenship (current passport), proof of relationship to your son (adoption decree), identification of both parents and a copy of each parent's ID.

The only way to get the passport by the end of the month is to request expedited service at a regional passport agency. The closest agencies to Omaha are located in Aurora, Co. and Minneapolis, Mn. Click the links below for more information about these two agencies.

Aurora Colorado Passport Agency

Minneapolis Minnesota Passport Agency

If you are unable to make the trip to a regional agency, you can authorize a professional expediting service to get your son's passport. Note, it is still necessary to sign the application in the presence of a local passport agent before sending the form and supporting documentation to the expediting service. In order to expedite the process, use the links below.

Apply for Emergency Passport Expediting

Nebraska Passport Offices

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!