Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

What do I do with a damaged passport?

by joanne

Question: My passport went in the washer and was damaged. What do I do with it?

Answer: Significantly damaged passports can neither be used for international travel nor are they eligible for renewal by mail. To replace the damaged passport you must appear at an application acceptance facility in order to apply for a new passport.

The State Department website states that water damage MAY constitute “damage” requiring use of Form DS-11. If the the book cover or the page displaying your personal data and photo have been damaged, you will definitely need to replace it.

If you have no plans to replace the passport, then you can either keep it as a memento or mail it to passport services where it will be invalidated.

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!