Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

What do I do to replace my temporary passport with a permanent passport?

by Courteney
(New York, New York, USA)

Question: My passport was stolen while I resided in the UK and the US Embassy issued me a "temporary passport". This temporary passport needs to be replaced with a permanent passport. What am I required to do in order to obtain my permanent passport?

Answer: The process for replacing a limited-validity passport (aka temporary passport) depends on how long it has been since the document was issued.

IF you received the limited passport book less than one year ago, then you need to submit DS-5504, Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement.

Along with form DS-5504, you need to submit your passport, one passport photo and any documents listed as necessary in the temporary passport. Send the application and documentation to the address on the form.

There is no fee for this service unless you want to expedite the process.

IF you received the limited passport book more than one year ago, then you need to complete Form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail.

Together with this form, submit your passport, one passport photo, proof of name change if you changed your name since the temporary passport was issued and any documents listed in the temporary passport as necessary.

The fee to renew a passport is presently $110 for adults. An additional $60 fee needs to be paid if you want the application expedited.

Either way, you should place the contents in a secure package such as a Tyvek envelope and send it by a traceable delivery method.

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!