This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

What are the expediting charges for passport name corrections

by Andree
(Whitter Calif)

Question: The name on my passport book was printed incorrectly so I submitted form DS-5504 for correction. Amendment was also incorrect. Will I also receive correction for the amendment (same error)? Because there are no charges for the above changes, would there also be no expediting charges for a 2 weeks or less return of passport?

Answer: Your confusion is understandable. In June 2005, the State Department stopped making amendments in passports. That is, they no longer change data in a passport and return that same passport. Due to added security features such as a RFID chip, it is not possible to change the printed information since it would not match the information on the chip. A new passport must be issued with the new information in it.

While the State Department no longer amends passports, they do process corrections. However, many people including travel agents and professional travel document expediters continue to refer to name changes and printing error corrections as amendments.

Besides the completed form DS-5504, you also need to submit one passport photo (if passport was issued more than 90 days ago) and evidence to support the name correction such as a certified birth certificate or certified marriage certificate. I also encourage you to include a brief letter explaining the request.

There is no fee for this service UNLESS you request expedited service. The fee for expedited service is $60.

Note, expedited service by mail takes 2-3 weeks to process. If you need your passport faster, you have to visit the nearest regional passport agency or submit through a professional expediter.

Los Angeles Passport Agency

Expedite Passport Correction

Return to Passport Expediting FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.