Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

What are acceptable forms of evidence when changing name to a hyphenated form?

by Naomi
(New York, NY, USA)

Question: I recently legally hyphenated my name with the Social Security office and the DMV; however, I'm confused about the form of evidence I need for a new passport with the new name. I see that I can send in my marriage certificate; however, this only lists me with my maiden name and my husband with his name. It does not have the hyphenated version listed anywhere.

That being said, I have legally changed it through the SS office and DMV using the marriage certificate.

When I send in for my new passport, can I just include my marriage certificate, photos, and form listing my hyphenated name as my name. Or, do I need to send in my SS card or another form of ID that shows the hyphenated version of my name.

Answer: The U.S. Department of State requires you submit an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or official court order with evidence of a legal name change. If you do not have either of these documents, then you must submit at least three public records that prove you have used the new name for at least five years.

Since you have not used the hyphenated name for more than five years and your name was not legally changed on your marriage certificate, you will need to either apply for a passport in your current legal name (as per your marriage certificate) or apply for a court order to legally change the name before submitting the application to change the name in your passport.

For more information about how to legally change your name in New York, click the link below.

New York City Civil Court: Name Changes

For further information about applying for a new passport, click the link below.

Apply for a New Passport

Click here to post comments

Return to Supporting Documents for Passports FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!