This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

U.S. Passport for a child living in Mexico.

by Tina
(Winnsboro, Texas USA)

Question: I need help getting my son back to Texas from Mexico. He went to live in Mexico with his father in 2000. The problem that I have is that his father is not on his birth certificate. I need to get my son home to me. I need some advice please. When my son went to Mexico to live, you did not have to have a passport. Now all of that has changed. I really need to get him a passport. But how do I do that if he is there, I am here and I am the only parent listed on the birth certificate?

Answer: The father can take his son to the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate in Mexico in order to obtain a passport for his child. An appointment is required.

Requirements for obtaining a passport for a minor include a completed form DS-11, an original birth certificate, one passport photo, evidence of your sole legal custody (birth certificate with only your name as parent), copy of your photo ID with signature and notarized consent or affidavit from you granting the father permission to apply for the passport.

The father may also be asked to submit the following documents:

* Prenatal Documents: including medical records and ultrasounds.
* Documents from hospital where the applicant was born (wrist bands, crib card, discharge orders).
* Photos of Pregnancy and From Hospital: Photos taken of mother during pregnancy and in the hospital before and after the birth.
* Proof of parents’ presence in the United States around time of birth of the applicant: job documents, earning statements, phone bills, tax returns, parents marriage certificate, family photos in the U.S., personal letters, birth certificates of siblings born in the United States, parents’ drivers licenses or State ID cards, census letter.
* Migratory document given when first entered to Mexico: travel consent signed by parent, if applicable.
* Photos of the applicant from birth to present.
* School records: transcripts, report cards, diplomas from elementary, high school, and university, school yearbooks, or class photos, current or expired ID’s.

Visit the American Citizens Services in Mexico

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Getting US Passport Abroad FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.