Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

U.S. Consulate General in Hong Kong

Map of Hong Kong
The United States Consulate General in Hong Kong assists American citizens in obtaining or renewing passports for both adults and children, reports of birth abroad, notarization of documents and a wide variety of other services.

 U.S. Citizens visiting Hong Kong for not more than three months/90 days are not required to obtain visas. They must have a U.S. passport valid for at least six months and evidence of adequate funds for their stay and onward transportation. Those wishing to stay more than three months must obtain visas from a Chinese Embassy or Consulate or a registered expediting service. Visitors are not permitted to study or work (whether paid or not).

U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong
26 Garden Road, Central
Hong Kong
Telephone: (852) 2523-9011 (visa inquiries not answered on these lines)
Fax: (852) 2845-4845
This consular district includes Hong Kong and Macau.
*All of our services are by appointment only.

How to Get to the Consulate

By taxi:
Asked to be dropped off at the St. John's Building, 33 Garden Road. The Consulate is across the street and up the hill. The address of the St. John's Building in Chinese script is 聖約翰大廈 花園道 33 號.

By MTR/Train:
Use Exit J2 (stairs only) or the platform elevator to exit Central station. From Exit J2, follow signs to the Peak Tram Station. The Consulate is across the street and up the hill from the Peak Tram Station.

If you exit Central MTR station via the elevator, you will come out facing Pedder Street. Follow Pedder Street south (right) to Des Voeux Road Central, and then follow Des Voeux Road Central east (left) to Garden Road. Follow Garden Road south (right) up the hill to the Consulate.

By bus:
Take routes 3B, 12, 12A, 12M, 23, 23B, or 40. Get off at St. John's Cathedral on Garden Road. The Consulate is up the hill two blocks and on the right.

After-Hours Emergencies

For deaths, arrests, hospitalizations or other emergencies involving U.S. citizens outside our regular business hours of 8:30 am to 5:30 pm Monday-Friday, please call 2523-9011, press 2 for English and 1 for emergencies to be connected to our after-hours duty officer.

Rainy and Typhoon Season

The annual rainy and typhoon season has begun and is expected to last until November. Please be advised that if Black Rainstorm Warning OR Typhoon Signal 8 or above is announced by the Hong Kong Observatory, the Consulate General will be closed.

Passport Expiration

Many countries in the region, including China and most Southeast Asian nations, require a traveler's passport to have at least six (6) months validity beyond the dates of the planned trip. Airlines usually will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met and immigration officers will turn you around at the port of entry in these countries if you arrive without the required six months validity. Please check your passport, as well as those of family members traveling with you, at least one month prior to any planned trips.

If your passport does not have adequate validity and you need to renew it quickly, you can get expedited passport service at a regional agency as quickly as the same day. Those who are unable to personally apply at a regional processing center can employ the services of a registered expediter.

Get your China Visa quickly.


This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.