This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Traveling to Mexico in less than 2 weeks, need a name change.

Question: I was married about 7 months ago and have changed my last name on my driver's license and social security card to my married name. My passport still shows my maiden name. However it was a last minute decision and we're leaving for Mexico in 2 weeks. I don't have time to even expedite a new passport. Will I still be able to go?

Answer: There are two ways that you can expedite a passport name change in less than two weeks. Before getting to that, you should be aware that there are other documents that are accepted depending on your mode of transportation.

WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land and sea:

* Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
* State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (few states currently offer the EDL)
* Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
* U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
* U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
* Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
* Form I-872 American Indian Card

For travel by air, you must present a valid passport book.

In order to expedite your passport name change within two weeks, you can submit the application at the regional passport agency that serves the state in which you reside.

If you are unable to set up an appointment in time or travel to the regional agency, you can authorize a private expediting service to submit the application for you. Expediters can get your name changed as quickly as the same day. To begin the online application process, click the link below.

Expedite Passport Name Change

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.