This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Travel to the U.S. from Canada

Question: I am a US citizen living in Canada. I want to return home and I don't have a passport. I have a Canada driver's license and a US birth certificate. Can I use these documents to get back into the US?

Answer: For entry into the United States from Canada via land and sea borders, U.S. citizens must present either a U.S. passport, passport card, NEXUS card, Enhanced Driver's License or other WHTI-compliant document. The only exception to this requirement is for U.S. citizens under the age of 16.

You can apply for a passport at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general. Click the link below for more information.

U.S. Consular Services in Canada

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Getting US Passport Abroad FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.