Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Stolen Passport

by Scott
(Glenolden, PA USA)

Question: My passport was stolen about four years ago. I have an opportunity to travel to London, England in May. Do I have to go through all of the steps that I had to when I applied for my passport or can I just get it replaced?

Answer: You can only renew a passport by mail if you can submit your current passport. Since yours was stolen, you must apply for a new passport.

This means you will have to complete Form DS-11 and submit it at passport application acceptance facility along with accompanying documents.

You also have to submit Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. For complete instructions, click the link below.

Replace a Stolen Passport

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.