Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Should you put child's full name on the passport?

by Karen
(Broomfield, CO, USA)

Question: We are getting ready to get our 15-year-old son a passport so he can do some mission work in Mexico and have in case we ever go on a cruise. He has two middle names. Should we, on the passport have his full name or just his first and last?

Answer: The passport application Form DS-11, which is used to obtain a passport for a minor, asks for full name. In the section that requests the name of the applicant, there is a space for "Last" followed by "First & Middle". In this space, you should include your son's first name and both his middle names.

Obtaining a new passport requires that your son provide both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. These documents should have the full name of your son on them, including his two middle names.

My children have two middle names as well. They also have dual citizenship. Their two middle names are included on all their passports.

Sometimes, forms are not well designed for people with two or more middle names. For example, when applying for a Social Security card, one of my sons received his card with his first name, one middle name and a hyphenated last name. We had to return to the Social Security office to change it.

This is not a problem with the passport application form.

For full instructions on getting a passport for a minor, visit the following web page.

Passport for Child

Click here to post comments

Return to Passport Name FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.