Disclosure: We are an affiliate of some of the companies and products mentioned and may be compensated if you click one of these links and make a purchase.

Replace limited passport obtained in foreign country

by Kathleen
(Oakland, CA USA)

Question: Last July, while traveling in Peru, my passport was lost/taken and it was necessary to go the the US Embassy to get a temporary passport to return home. I got a police report, took passport photos, completed paperwork, and paid the $100 fee. I was told that when I renewed my passport in the US, the fees I paid would be applied if done within the year.

I hope this is accurate information because I need another passport for a summer trip and finally found the copies of the paperwork completed last summer in Peru. I haven't stumbled upon any information about replacing passports lost in another country and applying previously paid fees on-line. Thank you for your help.

Answer: In order to replace the limited passport that you were issued in Peru, you need to submit the following documents.

* Completed Form DS-5504, Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement

* Your most recent passport

* One recent passport photo

* The necessary documentation as specified by Passport Services. (Should be in your limited-validity passport.)

If your passport was issued under 22 CFR 51.41, you also need to submit proof of citizenship. If your passport was issued under 22 CFR 51.28, you need to submit proof of identity.

Submit the completed application and supporting documents to the address on the form.

There is no fee for this service unless you require Expedited Service. Routine service takes 4-6 weeks. Expedited Service takes 2-3 weeks. The fee to expedite the application is $60.

If you need to replace the passport in less that two weeks, you will have to visit a regional passport agency or apply through a professional passport expediter.

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.

Expedite Your Passport Now!