This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Questions about passport renewal and name change after marriage

by Meg
(Dallas, TX)

I need to renew my expired passport but also am about to be married and have my name changed. Plus, I want to know about keeping the expired passport as a memento.

Your questions have been answered in the order that you asked them.

Question: Do I still use the DS-82 form if I'd like to have my expired passport back as a keepsake?

Answer: You can use form DS-82 if you meet all the criteria. The passport you submit will be returned. It will probably arrive separately from the new passport. For a list of criteria for renewing a passport by mail, click the link below.

How to Renew Passport

Question: Do I mail it along with my expired passport and any additional form?

Answer: Yes, you send the passport along with the completed application form and other required documentation.

Question: I'm about to be married and my name will be changing but I need a passport for the honeymoon. Do I have to go through the renewal process with my maiden name and then at a later date again to change to my married surname, all before November? Or, is there a way to do everything at once although my name will not legally change until we're married.

Answer: If your passport is expired and you will need it for travel abroad, then you must renew it in your current legal name. In this case, the passport will be issued in your maiden name.

After your return from your honeymoon, you can apply for a passport name change. There is NO fee for this service IF you apply within one year from the issuance of your passport. If you wait more than a year, then you will have to apply for a renewal and pay the appropriate fee.

Note, the Secure Flight program of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires that your ticket be reserved and issued in the same name as the name in your government-issued travel document. Since your passport will be in your maiden name, then your ticket should also be issued in your maiden name.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Renewal Questions.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.