This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

passport name

by Lorie
(Baltimore, MD)

Question: I am in the process of legally changing my first and middle name. When this is completed and I apply for a passport for my daughter, do I have to have my new name on her birth certificate?

Answer: When applying for a passport for a minor, you must establish your relationship to the child by presentation of an official document. Usually, this is an original or certified birth certificate. Since the name on the birth certificate will be different from the name on your identification document, you need to establish a link between the two. Presentation of the birth certificate along with a court ordered name change should serve this purpose.

If other identification is necessary, the attending passport agent will inform you if other documents are required. For a complete list of requirements, click the link below.

Child Passport Requirements

Comments for passport name

Click here to add your own comments

Middle Name
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi. My birth certificate has my middle name as Vincent. My drivers license has it as V. and my passport has Vince. Do I need to get my passport changed to match my birth certificate?

Answer: It is not necessary but ideal to have your names match in all identification documents including your passport.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.