Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

Passport Name Change

by Dawn
(Butler, WI, USA)

Question: I need to change my last name on my passport from my married name back to my maiden name. Once my divorce was final, I took the proper paperwork to the social security office to change my name & driver's license.

What do I have to submit to show my name has been changed?

What is the change fee & form I need to fill out?

I currently have a passport, but it is issued in my married name. I am over 16 years old & the passport is only about 5 years old.

Please advise. I need to send my paperwork for travel in October.


Answer: Since your passport was issued more than 1 year ago, you must apply for a passport renewal. You need to submit the following.

1. Completed passport application Form DS-82
2. 1 passport photo
3. Divorce decree (The decree must state the fact that your name has been changed and give the new name.)
4. Passport Renewal Fee

For more information, click the link below.

Passport Name Change Information

Comments for Passport Name Change

Click here to add your own comments

Name change due to a divorce
by: Laurie

Question: What is the cost if I got divorced and my passport is new, 2 months old.

Answer: You may apply for a passport name change at no cost to you since it has been less than a year since issuance. Please mail the following to the address printed on the form:

1. Form DS-5504
2. Current passport
3. Original or certified copy of divorce decree
4. One new passport photo

You may add a check for $77.56 if you want the process expedited and the passport delivered to you in 1-2 days after issuance. Expedited service will take 12 weeks while standard service may take up to 18 weeks.

If you need the passport sooner, you may employ the services of a registered passport courier. Rush My Passport can get your name changed on your passport in about 4.5 weeks.

Get Passport Fast

Passport renewal after name change
by: Anonymous

Question: I am not impressed with the quality of service for this. Sent all required documents on Mar 12 for travel May 20. It is now the 15th of May and no passport. Still processing. 3 calls in past 2 weeks, all just say it is processing. Really disappointed.

Answer: We are sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory experience. Routine service takes 6-8 weeks to complete so the passport should be on its way. If it does not arrive in the next couple of days, you may register a formal complaint at the National Passport Information Center.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!