Disclaimer: This site may earn affiliate commissions from your purchases through our links, at no extra cost. Learn more.

Passport Name Change

by Jenilyn
(Chicago, IL)

Question: Hello, I was just recently married and changed my name. My current passport expires in a few years. When I apply for a new passport, will it also expire then?

Also, can this be done in person at the post office? If so, will I be able to keep my marriage certificate? Is it the same fee as mailing in the required documents? Thank you, Jenilyn

Answer: The new passport will be valid for 10 years.

Post offices do not process passport applications. They only serve as agents to witness the signature of applicants who apply for a new, first-time passport.

Requests for a passport name change must be mailed to the address on the form. Since your current passport was issued more than one year ago, you must apply for a renewal using Form DS-82.

Besides the completed application form, a recent passport photo and the payment, you must include the original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate. A certified copy can be obtained through the vital records office of the state in which you were married.

To minimize the risk of loss or destruction of documents, you are encouraged to use a secure packaging method such as a Tyvek envelope and send the packet by a traceable delivery method.

Routine processing takes 4-6 weeks. You can request expedited service and get the passport returned in 2-3 weeks. If you need your passport sooner, you must apply at a regional passport agency or through a professional expediting service. For more information, click the links below.

How to Renew a Passport

Chicago Passport Agency

Apply to Expedite Passport Name Change

Comments for Passport Name Change

Click here to add your own comments

Name change before passport was issued
by: Anonymous

Question: I filed for a name change on October 27 and it was signed by the judge on December 6. I obtained the certified copy on December 16.

I applied for a passport on November 17 and the passport's issue date is December 17.
I want to update the name on my passport with my new legal name. In my situation, can I use the form DS 5504? Won't there be an issue since my name change happened before my passport was issued?

Answer: You may still use Form DS-5504. Please send the original court order for your name change.

You may contact the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!
About the Author: For over 20 years, the U.S. Passport Service Guide team has helped hundreds of thousands of travelers with their travel document questions and shared advice about how to make traveling abroad simpler, safer, and more enjoyable.

Get the Latest Updates

Fill out the form, tick all boxes, click subscribe for updates on passports and travel news.