This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport name change after marriage outside the U.S.

by Tina

Question: I was recently married in Jamaica and I am unsure of how to get a certified copy of my marriage certificate. I am unsure if there is a vital records for me to write to and I am uncomfortable sending the original document. Would a notarized copy be accepted to change my name?

Answer: In order to change the name in your passport, you must include an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate.

You can apply for a certified copy of your marriage certificate by clicking the link below.

Government of Jamaica - Application for a Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate

If you are unable to provide a certified copy, then you must send the original. To minimize the risk of loss, you should send your document by two-way overnight express and choose a traceable delivery method. You can also protect your marriage certificate from the elements by using a Tyvek envelope.

If your passport was issued less than a year ago, you only need to send completed Form DS-5504, Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement and evidence of the name change.

If it has been more than one year since your passport was issued, you need to apply for a renewal using Form DS-82.

For complete details, click the link below.

Passport Name Change

Comments for Passport name change after marriage outside the U.S.

Click here to add your own comments

Married in Jamaica
by: Adam

Question: Hello, my wife and I were married in Jamaica and we are changing the name on her passport to my last name. We are doing a renewal, but my question is, we have the original marriage certificate but it doesn't say her new name on it. Jamaicadoes it differenti think. Will this still work to change her name?

Answer: The marriage certificate should suffice as evidence of a legal name change. You can call 1-877-487-2778 to speak with a customer service representative if you want to confirm this.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.