This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport for child with notarized letter from parents

by Jacki
(Willits CA, USA)

Question: Can I obtain a passport for a child with a notarized letter from her parents, her original birth certificate and her SSN? I am fiancé to her uncle and want to take her with me when I visit him in Mexico next month.

Answer: Yes, you can obtain a passport for a child if you submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents authorizing you to apply for a passport. For a complete list of requirements, click the link below.

Apply for Child's Passport

Note, it is also recommended that you obtain a notarized letter of consent to travel with a minor from the child's parents and keep it with you at all time during your trip.

Letter of Consent to Travel with a Minor

Comments for Passport for child with notarized letter from parents

Click here to add your own comments

Applied with power of attorney
by: Anonymous

Question: When I applied for my son's passport, I sent a power of attorney form signed by his father and notarized, stating he has given me power to apply for a passport. I just received a letter stating that they need a copy of the father's ID, which I cannot get because he is incarcerated. We leave in 2 1/2 weeks; what can I do?

Answer: Please call customer service at 1-877-487-2778 for more information.

Need help
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi,
I work full time and also attend college. Due to my busy schedule, my child is living with his grandparents outside the States. My son's passport is about to expire and his grandparents want to get it renewed where they are. I am not with his father and can't get him to sign the consent form. What should I do? Thank you.

Answer: If the father's name is on your child's birth certificate, his consent is required. You must contact the father and obtain a signed and notarized consent from him as well as a photocopy of his ID.

If this is not possible, we recommend you either contact the nearest family court to see if a judge will order him to provide consent or consult an attorney about getting sole legal custody.

Get a New Passport for My Child
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I would like to know if a lady delivered her baby and needs to get his first U.S passport, does she need his father with her? If the father can't come to The U.S because of his work, what will be the solution?

Answer: If the father name is on the birth certificate, his consent is required. He can visit the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general to complete the consent form and have it notarized. He can then send it to you to be submitted with your infant's passport application.

let my child go with dad to Peru and she never came back
by: Anonymous

Question: What happens when your child goes on the trip with permission but never comes back?

Answer: You can find information about international child abduction here.

Notarized letter outside the United States
by: Anonymous

Question Hi, I would like to know if the consent letter signed by one of the parents can be written using the same model as the one shown in your web? And also one of the parents is located outside the United States. Can he notarize it with a Public Notary from the country he is in or does he need to certified also with the Ministry of Public Relations?

Answer The consent form on our website contains all the information that is usually requested when entering another country. However, we encourage you to verify specific requirements of the countries that will be visited. The form can be notarized at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.