This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport for a US Citizen living in Canada without proper papers.

by Leah

Question: I am an American Citizen who has been living in Canada without the proper residency documentation for quite a long time. I am going back to the U.S. and need a passport to do so. Can I go to the U.S. Consulate in Vancouver, British Columbia to obtain my passport, without having been in Canada properly? Thank you in advance.

Answer: In order to apply for a passport at a U.S. consulate in Canada, you must submit proof of legal status in Canada. Below is a list of documents that are acceptable as evidence of legal status.

  • Canadian Landed Immigrant document

  • Employment or Student Authorization

  • Minister's Permit

  • Visitor's Visa

  • Report of Birth Abroad of a Canadian citizen

  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Getting US Passport Abroad FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.