This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Passport for 1 yr old with no birth certificate

by Tyra

Question: My daughter has a certificate of live birth from the hospital but does not have a U.S. birth certificate. How do I get her a passport?

Answer: If your daughter was born in the United States and cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship because her U.S. Birth Certificate was not filed within the first year of her birth, you may submit a combination of the following documents. Note, you should submit as many as possible.

A Delayed U.S. Birth Certificate filed more than one year after the birth may be acceptable if it lists the documentation used to create it (preferably early public records) and
it is signed by the birth attendant or lists an affidavit signed by the parents.

Early public records submitted with a birth record or Letter of No Record. Early public records should show name, date of birth and place of birth. Examples of early public records include baptismal certificate, hospital birth certificate and doctor's record of post-natal care.

A state-issued Letter of No Record showing name, date of birth, year for which a birth record was searched and acknowledgment that no birth certificate was found on file. A Letter of No Record must be submitted together with Early Public Records.

Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit as evidence of your U.S. citizenship. The birth affidavit must be notarized, submitted in person with Form DS-11, submitted together with early public records, completed by an affiant who has personal knowledge of birth in the U.S. and state briefly how the affiant's knowledge was acquired. It should be completed by an older blood relative, the attending physician or any other person who has personal knowledge of the birth.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.