This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Parental consent for minor child's name change on passport

by Dee
(Lincoln, RI, USA)

Question: I legally changed the name of my minor child, and need to get his name changed on his passport. Both his father and I (now divorced) are listed as parents on his birth certificate.

Do I still need to obtain his parental consent to get a new passport for my child? His current passport is still valid and does not expire until next year. Please advice. Thanks.

Answer: In order to change the name on a passport for a minor, you must apply for a new child's passport. The requirements include the physical appearance and consent of both parents. If the father cannot appear, then you must submit a written, notarized consent form DS-3053 from him.

Besides the regular requirements for a minor's passport, you also must submit evidence of the legal name change.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.