This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Need Passport for My Children

by Yiniva

Question: I was deported to Colombia. My children are in New York with my mother. They want to come see me. My son had a passport before. He came to Colombia when he was a baby with my mom on vacation.

I´m the only one on his birth certificate so I got him the passport for the trip but my daughter's father is on the birth certificate. I know that would be a little more difficult. What can I do to have my children come visit?

I need to see them. I miss my children and they miss me. Please help me. Thank you.

Answer: Your mother can apply for a passport for your son if you send her a notarized written statement or affidavit authorizing her to apply for the passport. If this only has your name on it, your mother must also provide evidence that you have sole legal custody. The birth certificate without the father's name would be sufficient. Note, this must be a certified copy and not a photocopy.

You can get the statement notarized at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate general.

U.S. Embassy in Bogota

As you mentioned, it is a little more difficult to get a passport for your daughter. Either the father can appear with your daughter and submit a notarized consent form from you. Or your mother can appear with your daughter and submit a notarized written statement or affidavit authorizing her to apply for the passport. This must be from both parents.

If there is some special circumstance because of which the father cannot be contacted, then you can complete the "Special Circumstance" section of Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent of Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 and submit it with the application.

If your mother has legal guardianship of the children or if they are 16 years of age or older, then the consent forms may not be necessary. For more information, click the link below.

Apply for Passport for Minor

Professional passport expediters can often help in such circumstances. Click the link below for contact information.

Passport Expediting Services

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.