This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Name Change with Unusual Circumstances

by Raymond
(Martinsville, VA)

Question: My birth certificate has my name as Raymond Lastname, Jr. Years later, after talking with my parents, I found out I was actually the third Raymond Lastname, so I have been using Raymond Lastname III ever since. Who knows why they put junior?

My driver's license, credit cards, financial contracts, tax forms, literally every other legal and financial document in my name has it at the III, not Jr. except my passport.

My current passport expires in June. It has my name as Raymond Lastname, Jr. I want to get it changed to Raymond Lastname III. What is the simplest, most direct way to effect this change?

Answer: The most effective way and one that eliminates complications in any other process is to submit an application for a legal name change. The process is quite simple.

1. Complete Application for Change of Name: Form CC-1411 and have it notarized.
2. File the application in the circuit court where you reside and pay the fee.
3. Appear at hearing to testify before a judge concerning the reason for the request.

You should request a certified copy of the legal name change court order at the time of approval so that you can send it in with your passport application.

If you do not want to go through this legal process, you can try requesting the name change when you apply for a renewal. Complete the appropriate application and include the required documents. To prove the name change, you should submit public records that show exclusive use of the desired name for at least 5 years. Note, using this method is often wrought with delays and requests for additional documents.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.