Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Name change after purchasing tickets

(los angeles, ca)

Question: My wife is changing her name because of a new job. However, we purchased tickets to Italy 6 weeks ago. If she legally changes her name through the SSA and the DMV can we still use the passport for her previous name? And if not, the name on our flight won't match up. Will this be a problem? And how do we reconcile this?

Answer: The only way to legally change a name other than marriage or divorce decree that includes this request is through a court order. Using a different name on a Social Security card or driver's license does not constitute a legal name change.

If your wife has not legally changed her name through a court order, then the use of a different name is nothing other than an alias.

If she has legally changed her name, then she should apply for a name change in her passport.

When exiting and re-entering the United States by air, you must present a valid passport. Social Security cards and driver's licenses are not valid forms of identification for international travel.

The name on the passport and the name on the ticket/boarding pass must be identical.

If your wife's name has not been legally changed, we recommend you enter in contact with the airline company to see if they can change her name on the ticket to match the name in her passport.

Comments for Name change after purchasing tickets

Click here to add your own comments

International travel with old passport
by: Anonymous

Question: Hi, I recently got married and changed my name with the social security office but have not been able to change my DL or passport yet. My husband and I are planning to go to Mexico soon and I am wondering if it is okay to use my passport with my maiden name even though my SS card has my new name on it?

Answer: You should be able to use your old passport as long as your tickets are booked in the name that appears in it.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Click for reliable expedited passport courier service!.


More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry?
2. What exactly does a passport expediter do?
3. Are passport expediting services legitimate?
4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor?
5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

Get answers to these questions and more in our Ultimate U.S. Traveler's Guide to Passport Expediters.

You can also visit our library of articles about passport expediting.

In a Hurry? Get Reliable Expedited Passport Courier Service:Expedite My U.S.Passport Now!

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.