This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

My name in son's court order to travel and my passport do not match

by Tanya
(blackfalds, alberta, canada)

Question: When I got married I never did change my license over to my married name. I still have my maiden name. I signed my marriage certificate as my married name. I go by my married name for most things except my SIN card and my license. My court order for custody of my son is in my married name.

Will this be a problem when I travel to Vegas in September with my son? Will I need to take my marriage certificate with me as well as proof of who I am?

Answer: I am not sure that I understand your question. If you are a U.S. citizen who presently resides in Canada and plans to travel to the United States, you are required to travel with a valid passport. The passport should be in your current legal name.

You can request a passport name change at the U.S. Consulate in Calgary. An appointment is required. For more information, click the link below.

U.S. Consulate in Calgary - Passport Services

Comments for My name in son's court order to travel and my passport do not match

Click here to add your own comments

by: Tanya

I'm a Canadian citizen traveling to the USA for a karate tournament for my son. I contacted the USA border people and they said this will all be fine as long as my son does not look like he is in distress or he can tell them that he is not being held against his will and I'm not kidnapping him.

I wanted my passport in my maiden name as i have not legally changed over my name from when i got married and to do so would cost me around 600.00. It was cheaper for me to do it this way as we only had a few months to save up for this trip for my son.


Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.