This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

my family wants to go on a cruise

by Linda
(Toledo, Ohio)

Question: My husband cannot get a passport because he owes past child support. He has been paying faithfully over 23 years.

We really want to go on a Disney cruise but was told he cannot get a passport. We cannot afford to put down a big payment like the people on the phone told us and we were told that even if we did put a big payment down it not guaranteed to get him a passport.

Why can't they release his name to get a passport when he has been paying faithfully for over 20 years.

Answer: By law, American citizens cannot obtain a passport if they owe $2500 or more in back child support.

Note, a passport is not required for closed-loop cruises. A closed-loop cruise is one that begins and ends in the same U.S. city. However, a passport may be needed to enter the counties that you will visit during your cruise.

To avoid the need for a passport, choose a closed-loop cruise that only ports in countries that do not require a passport in order to enter them.

We recommend you contact Disney Cruises concerning which cruises they offer that do not require a passport.

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passports for Cruises.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.