Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports may take up to 18 weeks for routine service and 12 weeks for expedited processing.

My Adopted Daughter had a Passport under a Different Name

by Connie
(Thurmont, MD USA)

Question: I adopted my daughter six years ago from Guatemala as a single parent. She was issued a passport to enter the United States but since then I have legally changed her name. We are planning to go on vacation this summer where she will be required to have a passport. What is the process to get a passport for her under her new name?

Answer: According to The Child Citizenship Act of 2000, most children adopted by parents who are American citizens gain citizenship automatically once the adoption is “full and final.”

Did your daughter come to the US on a IR-3 or an IR-4 visa. An IR-3 visa would mean that the adoption process was completed in Guatemala and the adoption was considered “full and final.”

If you brought your daughter to the US on an IR-4 visa, then it would be necessary to have the adoption finalized in the US before you apply for a passport.

Passports issued to minors cannot be renewed by mail nor can a name change be requested by mail. You must appear in person with your daughter at a passport application acceptance facility and apply for a new passport for a minor.

Besides the regular requirements for obtaining a
minor's passport, you also need to submit evidence of the legal name change. You are required to present the original or a certified copy of the adoption decree and your U.S. birth certificate.

Note, all documents submitted must be in English. If the adoption decree is in Spanish then you must have it translated.

For a list of location where you can apply, click the link below.

Maryland Passport Offices

Click here to post comments

Return to Passports for Minors FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!