Important Due to Covid-19, processing times for passports are taking longer than normal for both standard and expedited services.

Mutilated passport renewal information

Question:I went to the passport agency at the post office and completed a passport renewal application form.

Sent the new application and all the requested forms and a check registered mail, return receipt requested. I have received a form letter stating that the request was mutilated. The check was cashed.

They now want a complete new application form, new birth certificate and related material, and a new check.

Is there any person I can contact to find out why I received this. If they cashed the check they Must have the rest of the information.

Answer: Passports that are significantly damaged cannot be renewed by mail. The first page of instructions on Form DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application provides applicants with a checklist to verify if they are eligible to use the form. It reads in big bold letters: CAN I USE THIS FORM? Underneath this it reads, "Complete the checklist to determine your eligibility to use this form."

The fourth item on the list states, "My most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card for which I am renewing has not been lost, stolen, mutilated, or damaged."

Then, in bold letters, the application states, "If you answered NO to any of the statements above, STOP - you cannot use this form."

Those who attempt to renew a mutilated passport will be asked to appear at an application acceptance facility in order to apply for a new passport. Since the application fee is non-refundable, you are also required to pay the fees for the new passport. Click the links below for information on how to complete this process.

New Passport Requirements

Return to Passport Replacement FAQ.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

UPDATE: Mailing delays and high demand are impacting passport processing. The Department of State's processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center and not when you mail them or apply at a local acceptance facility. Standard service may take between 10 and 13 weeks. This timeframe does not include delivery time. Mailing times vary across the country.

Expedited service takes from 7 to 9 weeks excluding mailing times on the front and back end. Current mailing delays are significant. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Regional passport agencies are offering two types of appointments: Life-of-Death Emergency Service and Urgent Travel Service.

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (parent, legal guardian, child, spouse, sibling, and grandparent) that require you to travel outside the United States within 3 business days.

If you need to travel due to a qualified life-or-death emergency, please call the National Passport Information Center for an appointment:

Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. ET, call 1-877-487-2778 (TDD/TTY:1-888-874-7793) Outside of these hours, call 202-647-4000.

For Urgent Travel Service, you need to call 14 days before your scheduled international travel or 28 days if you also need to secure a foreign visa.

If you need to travel urgently for reasons other than a life-or-death emergency, please call the NPIC at 1-877-487-2778 Mondays through Fridays 8 A.M. to 10 P.M. ET.

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

10 Benefits of Expediters
What are the advantages of employing the services a qualified expediter?

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Travel Warnings
The latest alerts to help you prepare for a safe and secure trip abroad.

Travel Documents
List of the most important travel documents and information about how and where to get them.

Travel Safety
Discover practical advice on how to keep safe during international trips.

23 International Travel Tips to Save Money on Transportation, Lodging & More
Cool ways to make your money stretch farther on travel expenses so that you can go more often and stay longer.

Expedite Your Passport Now!