This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Marriage certificate plus court order for a name change

by Julee
(Brooklyn, NY)

Question: I was recently married. On the marriage certificate I changed my last name to a hyphenated name: My maiden name-husbands name. I decided to not use that later so now my name is officially different than the marriage certificate. I changed my maiden name to my middle name, dropped my middle name and took my husbands last name. I went to the civil court to do this and have a certified court order that verified my new name.

To change my name on my passport, can I include only the certified court order and not include my marriage certificate?

Answer: If I understand correctly, your passport has your maiden name in it but your current legal name is only mentioned on the certified court order. If the court order does not cite your name as it is in your current passport, then you must send your marriage certificate as well.

All the documents will be returned to you. You are encouraged to mail your passport name change application and any personal documents using a traceable delivery method. It is also recommended that you use a secure means of packaging, such as a Tyvek envelope.

For instructions, please click the link below.

Passport Name Change

Comments for Marriage certificate plus court order for a name change

Click here to add your own comments

marriage certificate
by: Siobhan

I sent in my original marriage certificate in order to change my name on my passport. I just received my new passport, but my original marriage certificate was Not sent with it. I am hoping it is being sent to me separately because I really need and want it back! This is very disturbing and disheartening!


Documents are sent separately from the passport. You should receive the marriage certificate soon.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.