This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Last passport was issued as a minor and my name has changed since.

by Christy
(Olathe, KS, USA)

Question: I was naturalized at the age of 9 when my parents were naturalized (country of origin - Korea). I'm not exactly sure when my passport was issued but it was before or around that time. I traveled one time when I was 13 or 14 to Korea, and my passport has since expired. I am now 32 years old and my name has changed. And though I know my passport is in one of the many boxes in my home, I can't seem to find it.

With the above history, is it best to apply for a passport as a first-time applicant? Would I just submit my naturalization certificate since I cannot locate my childhood passport at this time? I realize that there is an application for lost passports and one for name changes. I am just unsure how to approach obtaining a new passport with so many different forms. Thanks.

Answer: Since your passport was issued to you when you were a minor, you must apply as a first-time applicant. You need to submit your Naturalization Certificate as evidence of U.S. citizenship as well as the document that proves your legal name change. For a complete list of requirements, click the link below.

New Passport Requirements

Comments for Last passport was issued as a minor and my name has changed since.

Click here to add your own comments

Thanks, William
by: Christy


If my new name is on my state Driver's License, do I still need to use my naturalization certificate?


Yes, a driver's license is not acceptable as evidence of citizenship.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Expiration FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.

The Ultimate Jet Lag Survival Guide
Jet lag is almost certain if you travel across several time zones. Discover how to minimize the effects of jet lag for every age group and ensure a more rewarding family trip.