Important: Processing times recently changed for both routine and expedited passport applications.

Is it possible to get a passport for someone from Mexico?

by Jessica
(Corpus Christi, Tx, Nueces)

Question: Hello, my husband's grandmother lives in Mexico and would like to come and visit her family over in the United States. We were wondering if it is possible for us to help her get a passport to come to the United States.

Answer: If your husband's grandmother is a citizen of Mexico, she needs to apply for and obtain a Mexican passport and, then, apply for a Border Crossing Card. Click the link below for information about applying for a Mexican passport.

Pasaportes - Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores

The Border Crossing Card (BCC) is both a BCC and a B1/B2 visitor’s visa. B1/B2 visa/Border Crossing Cards are only issued to applicants who are citizens of and residents in Mexico. Applicants must meet the eligibility standards for B1/B2 visas which include the following.

* The purpose of their trip is to enter the U.S. for business, pleasure, or medical treatment;
* That they plan to remain for a specific, limited period;
* Evidence of funds to cover expenses in the United States;
* Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad; and
* That they have a residence outside the U.S. as well as other binding ties that will ensure their return abroad at the end of the visit.

BCC applicants must make an application using the normal procedures set by consular sections in Mexico. The fee for the Border Crossing Card is $160. It is valid for 10 years. Click the link below for complete instructions.

Non-Immigrant Visa INnformation

Return to Passport for Travel to Mexico.

Click for fast expedited courier service

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers


High demand and mailing delays are impacting how long it takes to get a passport.

  • Standard service is currently taking between 7 and 10 weeks.
  • Expedited service is currently taking between 3 to 5 weeks.

NOTE: Processing times begin when applications are received at a passport agency or center. Requesting 1-2-day mailing service is recommended.

Need to get a passport faster?

More Passport & Travel Information

Getting a Passport Expedited at a Post Office
Requesting express service at post offices and other facilities that accept application forms from U.S. citizens.

Applying at a Regional Passport Agency
Where processing centers are located. How to schedule an appointment. What documents to take with you.

Using a Registered Courier Service
How to pick a legitimate courier service company to assist in getting your passport quickly.

Routine vs. Expedited Passport Service: How to Choose
Guide to help you decide if standard or fast track processing is the best option for your situation.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

This website is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional cost to you.