This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more.

Is it possible to do a second name change on the same passport?

Question: My passport was issued under my previous married name, then I got divorced and had my passport amended back to my "maiden name". I have now remarried and have a new last name. Can I get the passport amended again? Do I follow the process listed under "passport issued over a year ago and name change is due to marriage, divorce or court order"?

I usually get lots of looks when I go through with my amended passport which I keep thinking - I can't be the only one! I really don't know what will happen if I now have it amended twice.

Passport issued under married name
Amended to Maiden Name
NOW desire to change to legal married name - second amending?

Thanks for your assistance.

Answer: Since your passport was issued more than a year ago, you need to use Form DS-82: Passport by Mail in order to apply for the name change.

Along with the completed application, you need to submit your current passport, a recent passport photo, an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change under federal or state law.

You will be issued a new passport.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Passport Name Change FAQ.

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

Latest Passport & Travel Updates

Emergency Passport Renewal
How to get an emergency passport renewal in the U.S. or abroad. Discover the steps to renew your passport the same day.

How to Renew a U.S. Passport Fast
Learn to expedite passport renewals as quickly as the same day. Where and how to renew passport in a hurry.

Make Your Own Passport Photos
Use the online Passport Photo Wizard tool to make your own passport photos in minutes. Save money and time.

Passport Renewal Videos
Watch step-by-step instructional passport videos of how to renew a passport in 3 steps.